Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Living Strings - The Spirit Of Christmas (1963 album) Rare CD Release

This is it!

My absolute favorite christmas album of all-time has been released on cd. Actually, it was released at least since last christmas but hardly anybody knows. And hardly anybody may know as it was released in a very rare release from Brazil, South America. But if you can lay your hands on one, snatch it up. However, be prepared to pay a heavy 3 digit price as you will most likely only be able to purchase it at some auction place, if anymore even make it to the auction as only 2 went up for auction last christmas (as far as I know, anyway) and I managed to be one of the lucky ones. One even sold for $356.00 if I recall correctly. No lies. That shows just how great this christmas album is and how bad some people want it on cd.

Many people, myself included, will say this orchestra instrumental christmas album is flawless. The arrangements by JOHNNY DOUGLAS are the greatest ever put to christmas music, in fact, to music of any style (at least as far as I'm concerned) and that's why JOHNNY DOUGLAS is such a genius of a man. There is not one song that is weak including the ones in the several medleys. In fact, I will go as far as saying that each song is among the greatest version if not the greatest version of each of them. I don't think I could say this about any other christmas album I own. Not to this extent anyway. And the conducting of JOHNNY DOUGLAS compliment the arrangements in a most perfect way. And to add, the orchestra that actually plays the songs

The tone of this album is in an easy-listening style (with some older traditional aspects thrown into some of the religious christmas songs). The style is heavy on the strings (as evident by the orchestra's name) and they (the strings) are ultra-lush and so beautiful. All the other instruments are also beautiful beyond words. If you like the christmas albums by the HOLLYRIDGE STRINGS, PERCY FAITH, ARTHUR FIEDLER, and ANDRE KOSTELANETZ, the you should really like this LIVING STRINGS christmas album (and quite possibly even more just like I and many others do).

One extra stand-out thing with this LIVING STRINGS christmas album is the unique backing rhythm that JOHNNY DOUGLAS has come up with, just check out 'I'll Be Home For Christmas' or 'There's No Place Like (Home For The Holidays)' and you'll see what I mean. Quite simply, amazing!

Along with the 2 songs just mentioned above, I'm sure you'll be in a christmas dreamland when you listen to such other songs as 'White Christmas,' 'It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas,' 'Silver Bells,' 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,' 'Away In A Manger,' 'Silent Night,' 'Mary's Boy Child,' and every other song on this most wonderful christmas album.

If you can get it on cd, get it. If not and if you still have a record player or cassette player, then there's a great chance you will find it somewhere and don't hesitate to purchase it. As I said, this is my favorite christmas album (cd) out of over 200 christmas albums/cd's/cassettes I own and I can't recommend this LIVING STRINGS christmas album enough.

No comments: